Assisted Living Facility
An assisted living facility (ALF) is designed to provide personal care services
in the least restrictive and most home-like environment. These facilities can range in size
from one resident to several hundred and may offer a wide variety of personal and nursing
services designed specifically to meet an individual's personal needs.
Facilities are licensed to provide routine personal care services under a "Standard" license, or more specific
services under the authority of "Specialty" licenses. ALFs meeting the requirements
for a Standard license may also qualify for specialty licenses. The purpose of "Specialty Licenses"
is to allow individuals to "age in place" in familiar surroundings that can adequately and
safely meet their continuing healthcare needs.
Emergency Power Rule
- Rule 58A-5.036, F.A.C., Emergency Environmental Control for Assisted Living Facilities (Final rule text ratified by the Legislature)
- Emergency Power Rule Q&As [536KB PDF] (April 20, 2018)
For additional questions related to the emergency power rule please contact the Assisted Living Unit at ALF_Emergencyrule@ahca.myflorida.com
- Emergency Power Plan Sample Format to be used when submitting emergency power plans to the local emergency management agencies.
- Consumer Friendly Summary (Revised May 24, 2018) - Each assisted living facility must submit a consumer-friendly summary of the emergency power plan to AHCA. This plan must be submitted by the facility within 2 days of approval of the plan by the local emergency management agency. If any changes to this summary occur during implementation of the plan, the facility must notify AHCA of changes within 2 days of plan implementation. As a guide AHCA has developed a Consumer Friendly Summary Sample Format to assist you. Completed summaries must be mailed to the Agency’s Assisted Living Unit at the address above or emailed to ALF_Emergencyrule@ahca.myflorida.com
- Extension Notification – As a guide, AHCA has developed a sample format for ALFs to utilize if they need to notify the Agency they will utilize an extension beyond June 1, 2018, in order to fully implement the emergency power plan.
- Assisted Living Facility Extension Quarterly Report
- Exemption for Equipment Used to Generate Emergency Electricity at Nursing Homes or Assisted Living Facilities – Tax Information Publication issued by the Florida Department of Revenue regarding emergency electricity equipment that is exempt from sales and use tax if purchased between July 1, 2017, and December 21, 2018.
Application and Forms
Resident Health Assessment
- Assisted Living Facility Emergency Management Criteria [161KB, PDF]
- Bed Bug Management - Best Practices for Assisted Living Facilities
- Assisted Living Facility and Adult Family Care Home Unlicensed Activity Checklist
- Application Packet Fees [88KB, PDF]
- Dept. Of Health - Notice [42KB, PDF]
- County Emergency Management Offices
- Recommended Guidelines for Adult Protective Services re: Sexual Offenders/Predators, March, 2010 [180KB, PDF]
- Recommended Guidelines for Assisted Living Homes re: Sexual Offenders/Predators, March, 2010 [201KB, PDF]
- Cooperative Agreement & Community Living Support Plan [295KB, PDF]
- Background Screening Website